Sunday, November 9, 2008

Look at me, I'm just like Raymond Carver...blah blah blah

One afternoon Wes was in the yard pulling weeds when Chef drove up in front of the house. I was working on a needlepoint on the front steps. I saw Chef walking towards Wes, but he acted like he couldn’t see me. Wes saw Chef walking across the yard and stuck his hand out to shake like they always did, but Chef swallowed him up in an embrace instead.
Wes dropped the gloves he’d taken off when he saw Chef approaching and hugged him back. I didn’t want to interrupt them so I just let them be. It looked like Chef was about ready to cry so I put down my needlepoint and went inside. Two friends like that should be left alone.
Inside the kitchen I had a half pitcher of lemonade I’d made for Wes, the condensation weeping all over the sides of the glass container. Chef and Wes walked in shoulder to shoulder just as I was finishing pouring everyone a glass. Hope you guys like lemonade. None went for a glass so I put the tray of drinks down. Everything alright Chef? But Wes answered instead. Chef had a drink last night for the first time in years. Chef couldn’t even look at the tumblers I filled up with lemonade for them. Well that’s not a big deal. We’ve all come a long way. Chef we can help you. He shook his head as if I was missing the point. I put down the drinks before something happened to them.
It’s on account of my mother passing away last night. Wes nodded because he understood. I knew it was gonna happen. I wish it hadn’t. I’ve held off for so many years it wasn’t even something I thought about anymore. I don’t think this will kill me but it sure is trying its damndest to. I came here because this house was the where I first seen light at the end of the tunnel. It’s worked for you but I can’t see that it’s working for me right now. I should leave you alone, this is my problem not yours.
Wes had been nodding the whole time as if he knew. I could tell that he was ready to tell Chef what was already in my mind. You’re gonna be alright now Chef. Edna and I appreciate your helping us so we figure the least we can do is help you. This place has been fantastic to us, but we don’t think it’s the place for you. As he spoke I could see the cabin in my mind. When we first got married a cousin of Edna’s gave us a place he had up in the mountains. It’s nothing more than a few logs put together the right way. You’re a good friend Chef. I can tell you right now that if you’re looking for a place to keep yourself together, our cabin is a great place to understand what’s going on right now.
Chef nodded and put his hand on Wes shoulder. Thanks Wes, however I’ve already got a place to stay. Coming here was just another thing in a long line of silly things I’ve done since she’s been gone. Thank you for offering me your place and all but I don’t think it’s for me. Wes nodded like he understood but he reached out for me anyways. He wrapped his arm around my waist to emphasize his point once more. Have faith Chef. I’m going to be around for as long as I’m going to be around. I tell you that I know you’re going to make it because you know that what you’ve done is silly today. My offer still stands. This isn’t the best place to mourn someone the right way. Edna and I know where that place is though. If you need it, we’ll be here.
Chef said he understood. Thank you so much but you’re wrong if you think this wasn’t the right place for me. With that he wiped his face and embraced us both. I hope you feel better I said. Thank you guys Chef repeated.
Wes and I walked Chef out of the house and to his car. I’d forgotten the yard still had a big pile of weeds in it just waiting to be burned. Wes dusted the Chef off seeing as how the two had been pretty inseparable since he’d gotten out of his car. I waited for Wes on the front porch. Goodbye Chef! Wes leaned into the driver’s seat window and whispered something into Chef’s ear. Chef nodded solemnly. He patted Wes on his shoulder before pulling out. When Wes came back I didn’t ask what he’d told Chef. That was between the two of them.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice blog, and welcome to Poland. If will be good, we will meet with you even in Chorzow or Sopotnia.
Best regards
Jacek Kupras